Academic Policies and Procedures

Compliance with University Policies

Registration as a student constitutes a commitment by the student to abide by University policies, rules and regulations, including those concerning registration, academic performance, student conduct, health and safety, use of the libraries and computing resources, university facilities, and the payment of fees and assessments. Some of these are set forth in the student handbook while others are available in relevant University offices. Students should take responsibility for informing themselves of applicable University policies, rules and regulations.

GLS System

An SKKU online membership ID provides access to the Sunkyunkwan University Academic System for Students (GLS) and its services, and identifies authorized users of these services.
Using GLS, students are able to register for courses and change courses, apply for a leave of absence and reinstatement as well as change their address, and personal Information. In addition, retrieval services of academic records and curriculum like syllabus or course description is provided through the GLS system. Further information concerning the GLS system may be found at the orientation for newly arrived students.


Registration means that students declare their intention to continue studying at SKKU and to retain their student status in Korea. Students on campus who are not registered during the scheduled period do NOT have the privileges of an SKKU student.
A person wishing to be reinstated as a graduate must apply for reinstatement through the GLS system and the registration notice paper may be found on GLS and printed out.

  • How to Register
    • The moment your tuition and other fees are paid, registration is complete.
    • The registration notice will be sent each semester, or found on GLS where it can be printed out.
    • Be sure to complete the payment at the designated bank by the due date.
    • Generally, the registration period is scheduled on the 3rd week of February and August respectively.
  • Reissuing Registration Notice
    • Using GLS or visiting the administrative office, you can get a reissuance.
  • Dismissal by No Enrollment
    • Students who are not registered by the due date are considered dismissed students by default unless they apply for registration or leave of absence. In the event of the dismissed student, their legal status as a student in Korea may be discontinued and they must leave the country within a determined period.
  • Leave of absence and Returning
    • If only for reasons of health problems, international students can have the option of taking a leave of absence upon filing a petition to do so with their relevant administrative office.
  • Required Documents
    • A medical certificate which proves at least a three week treatment
    • Objective documents concerning an unavoidable incident
    • Application for a leave of absence must be made within 13 weeks after the semester begins.

    Master’s students are allowed to take a leave of absence up to a total of three semesters, doctoral students up to a total of three semesters, doctoral students up to four semesters, and for combined master’s / doctoral

    students a maximum of up to six semesters.
    Students wishing to be reinstated must apply to return through the GLS system. After filling for returning through GLS, students can print out the registration notice for registration. During the scheduled registration period, they must complete the tuition payment and seek to enroll in classes.

    Unless students return to the University within the scheduled semester, they must apply for an extension of leave of absence, or they will be dismissed from the University, according to the Dismissal of Expiration of Leave of Absence policy.

  • Dismissal and Readmission (Reinstatement)

    In case students fall under the following conditions, their status may be disqualified and they may be dismissed as SKKU students.

    • Dismissal by No Enrollment
    • Dismissal by Voluntary Drop
    • Dismissal by Giving Up Enrollment
    • Dismissal by Punishment
    • Dismissal by Expiration of Leave of Absence
    • Dismissal by Academic Warning/Probation
    • Other Dismissal

    The University is not obligated to approve readmissions for students. Applications for readmission will be reviewed by the University and subject to the approval of the Faculty Steering Committee and Policy or its designees. Readmission decisions may be based on the applicant’s status when last enrolled, activities while away from campus, the length of the absence, the perceived potential for successful completion of the course, as well as any other factors or considerations regarded as relevant by the University or the Committee. Application for readmission must be submitted to the relevant administrative office.

Transcripts and Certification of Enrollment or Degrees

Transcripts of SKKU records are issued by the Academic Affairs Office upon the student’s request when submitted in writing or via the online GLS system. The courses taken and grades given in one semester will not appear on any student’s transcript until all grades received by the grade deadline have been recorded; generally, this is two weeks after final exams. The University reserves the right to withhold transcripts or records of students with unmet obligations to the University.
The Academic Affairs Office canprovidewritten confirmation of registration, enrollment or degree status. The printed certification can be used whenever enrollment or degree verification is required for scholarships, visa extensions and so on. Issuing service for certification of enrolment, transcript or degree is provided through the following channels:

  • Office Issuing Service : When students present their ID card to the Academic Affairs Office, it takes 10 minutes to be provided with the certification.
  • Internet Issuing Service : Using GLS, students are also able to print out a legally binding authorized certification through electronic notarization on any network PC.
  • Postal Issuing Service : Postal service for issuing certification is also available.
  • Fax Issuing Service : At any civil petition office, students can order a faxed copy from the fax certificate issuing service which takes three hours.
  • How to get a certification service
    How to get a certification service
    Campus Venue Business Hours Remarks
    Office Issuing Service Humanities and Social Sciences Academic Affairs Office (1F, 600th Anniversary Building 9:00 am to 5:30 pm No service on holidays
    Natural sciences Center for Administrative Services (1F, Student Union Building) 9:00 am to 5:30 pm No service on holidays
    Services(1F, Student Union Building)
    Vending Machine Issuing Service Humanities and Social Sciences 1F, 600th Anniversary Building
    1F, Business Building
    5F, Suseon Hall
    4F, Central Library
    24 hours
    Natural Sciences 1F, Student Union Building
    1F, Engineering Building 1
    1F, Engineering Building 2
    1F, Natural Science Library
    24 hours
  • Amendment of Student’s Record
    • A student may ask the University to amend records that he/she believes are inaccurate of misleading. The student should submit the petition for amendment of the record to the relevant administrative office. Clearly identify the part of the records they want changed, and specify why it should be changed.
  • Grading System
    • As can be seen from the following grade descriptions, a student’s grade, consideration is given as a result of evaluation, mid-term exam, final exam, attendance, and participation.
  • Grading Scale
    Grading Scale
    A+ 4.5 C+ 2.5
    A 4.0 C 2.0
    B+ 3.5 D+ 1.5
    B 3.0 D 1.0

    F(Fail), I(Incompleate)

  • Incomplete Grade
    • The ‘I’ (incomplete) is restricted to cases in which graduate students have satisfactorily completed a substantial part of the course work. No credit will be given until the course is completed and a passing grade received. When a final grade is received, all reference to the initial ‘I’ is removed and is changed to the final grade. Unless the result of the course evaluation is completed by the due date, the ‘I’ will be changed into ‘F’(Fail)
  • Content Manager